POSITION: Director of Quality
REPORTS TO: Executive Vice President
As a member of the Executive Management Team, the Director of Quality works closely with all areas to develop and implement strategies to achieve company Quality goals.
This position is responsible for Quality planning and administration:
- Designing and implementing of Quality policies and procedures,
- Coordinating and directing the Quality activities of the Grand Rapids and Cadillac plants
- Providing leadership to Quality staff.
- Assurance of compliance to standards and regulations,
- Quality Communications.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide direction to maintain and enforce the Safety Program, Policies, Rules & Requirements and the Quality Standards, Systems and Procedures, including oversight of training and assessment of training needs.
- Enforce compliance with ISO 14000, ISO-TS 16949, IATF, ISO-50001etc.
Monitor the activities of the Quality personnel, make recommendations for the implementation of programs to improve the training and development of personnel.
- Educate management in Quality including applicable laws, standards, requirements, policies and procedures.
- Maintain relations and communication with appropriate government agencies, external agencies and customers on Quality matters.
- Oversee the Quality Information Systems and record keeping and the monthly preports are published to Hutchinson Corporate.
- Work with Engineering, Purchasing, Industrialization, Human Resources, Maintenance and Manufacturing in establishing and practicing specific Quality, Safety and Environmental requirements based upon legal requirements, customer requirements and needs, function of product, its reliability, manufacturability – including process and equipment capability and maintain, value, environmental impact, and safety of manufacturing and handling – including ergonomics.
- Develop and initiate efficient methods for regular reporting to keep the President and executives informed on the status and progress of Quality programs and initiatives.
- Review new and revised designs, including review of engineering prototype evaluation. Recommend improvements that increase product uniformity, reliability and improve quality characteristics to reduce field failures and complaints. Recommend improvements for simplifying control of the manufacturing processes and for evaluating quality, thereby, reducing costs.
- Assist with establishing and defining those standards procedures essential product and process quality, safety, and reliability.
- Assure adequate delineation of quality requirements to suppliers through Purchasing and Supplier Quality. Advise with the designation of quality characteristics to be measured, methods and procedures for performing quality evaluations, and required inspection and test equipment. Oversee evaluations of current and new supplier facilities and their systems for controlling quality.
- Assist in diagnosing and provide technical help as required, including analysis of facts to establish the nature of the problem solution and action by the appropriate resource.
- Review customer portals for site status as required for both Grand Rapids and Cadillac.
- Analyze elements of quality costs and provide input as a basis for initiating positive action in the areas of prevention, appraisal and failure for overall reduction in quality costs.
Responsible for the Corporate Quality Engineers, Warrenty Engineers, and Quality Development Engineers.
Dotted line responsibilities for the Plant Quality Managers
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Some qualifications may be waived by management.
Must have good interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate with any Department, including plant and office personnel. Attention to detail and accuracy. Must have good computer skills with a working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Lotus applications. Must understand Quality Systems and the processes and practices in a manufacturing environment in order to stimulate continual improvement to them and to ensure that impact to Health, Safety and Environment are minimized.
EDUCATION &/or EXPERIENCE:
- Degreed in a technical field or equivalent experience. BS in Industrial or Mechanical Engineering along with 5 years of Management experience is preferred.
- Management experience leading large groups.
- 10 years experience that includes a combination of:
- Manufacturing experience with the three years directly related to Anti-Vibration Systems or related systems is required
- Quality Management experience, with the three years directly related to automotive supply. Must have a solid background in automotive quality management systems requirements.
- Experience working directly with customers.
- A proven track record of accomplishment directing manufacturing activities to meet the requirements of Automotive OEM customers and with respect to scrap reduction programs and problem solving techniques.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to assess reasonableness of the analysis performed
- Ability to cope with restrictive time schedules and unpredicted problems.
- Ability to prepare and present technical presentations to customers, management, and public groups.
- Motivated self-starter able to work with little direct supervision.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with and ability to mentor.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit for extended periods of time; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, and crouch. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Must have flexibility to work occasional extended hours or irregular hours and times as needed.
- Some overnight travel, including out-of state and international travel will be required.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This position is assigned an office. There will be occasions where the position will be in a Laboratory environment and a Manufacturing environment, where Personal Protective Equipment such as Hearing Protection, Safety Glasses and Safety Shoes are required
- At all times should dress in a manner to enhance the Corporate image.
Acknowledgement of Job Description:
Employee Name (printed) Employee Signature